An Adolescent Girl with Tubulointerstitial Nephritis and Uveitis (TINU) Syndrome
Tubulointerstitial nephritis and uveitis (TINU) syndrome is a rare and poorly understood condition that is likely underdiagnosed. The possibility that uveitis and acute tubulointerstitial nephritis do not occur simultaneously may make diagnosis more difficult. Treatment consists of systemic corticosteroids and potentially non-steroid immunosuppressants. Renal disease usually resolves spontaneously or with appropriate treatment, however, ocular manifestations may be chronic or relapsing. We report a case of tubulointerstitial nephritis and uveitis syndrome in a 12-year-old female.
2. Lusco MA, Fogo AB, Najafian B, Alpers CE. AJKD Atlas of Renal Pathology: Tubulointerstitial Nephritis With Uveitis. American journal of kidney diseases : the official journal of the National Kidney Foundation. 2017;69(6):e27-e8.
3. Pakzad-Vaezi K, Pepple KL. Tubulointerstitial nephritis and uveitis. Current opinion in ophthalmology. 2017;28(6):629-35.
4. Dobrin RS, Vernier RL, Fish AL. Acute eosinophilic interstitial nephritis and renal failure with bone marrow-lymph node granulomas and anterior uveitis. A new syndrome. The American journal of medicine. 1975;59(3):325-33.
5. Li C, Su T, Chu R, Li X, Yang L. Tubulointerstitial nephritis with uveitis in Chinese adults. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014;9(1):21-8.
6. Tan Y, Yu F, Qu Z, Su T, Xing GQ, Wu LH, et al. Modified C-reactive protein might be a target autoantigen of TINU syndrome. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;6(1):93-100.
7. Thomassen VH, Ring T, Thaarup J, Baggesen K. Tubulointerstitial nephritis and uveitis (TINU) syndrome: a case report and review of the literature. Acta ophthalmologica. 2009;87(6):676-9.
8. Pereira C, Costa-Reis P, Esteves da Silva J, Stone R. A child with tubulointerstitial nephritis and uveitis (TINU) syndrome. BMJ Case Rep. 2018;2018.
9. Fraga M, Nunes da Silva MJ, Lucas M, Victorino RM. Tubulointerstitial Nephritis and Uveitis Syndrome with non caseating granuloma in bone marrow biopsy. Acta medica portuguesa. 2014;27(2):268-70.
10. Mackensen F, Smith JR, Rosenbaum JT. Enhanced recognition, treatment, and prognosis of tubulointerstitial nephritis and uveitis syndrome. Ophthalmology. 2007;114(5):995-9.
11. Takemura T, Okada M, Hino S, Fukushima K, Yamamoto S, Miyazato H, et al. Course and outcome of tubulointerstitial nephritis and uveitis syndrome. American journal of kidney diseases : the official journal of the National Kidney Foundation. 1999;34(6):1016-21.
12. Paladini A, Venturoli V, Mosconi G, Zambianchi L, Serra L, Valletta E. Tubulointerstitial nephritis and uveitis syndrome in a twelve-year-old girl. Case reports in pediatrics. 2013;2013:652043.
Copyright (c) 2021 Journal of Rare Diseases and Orphan Drugs
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post links to their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.