An Unusual Case of Foreign Body Aspiration in 6-year-old Boy
Foreign body aspiration (FBA) is a common cause of mortality and morbidity in children. FBA is not always immediately diagnosed, partly because this diagnosis is not frequently in mind, but also because FBA does not have a specific clinical manifestation. FBA can be misdiagnosed as asthma, upper respiratory tract infection, pneumonia, or croup. Sometimes, FBA can be completely asymptomatic. We present the case with a delay in diagnosing FBA and discuss the appropriate management of suspected foreign body aspiration in a 6-year-old boy. This case illustrates the need for prompt action and a high level of suspicion in patients with prolonged symptoms and no resolution with standard treatment. Diagnosis should always be based on a combination of data obtained from the clinical history, physical examination, and radiographic findings. However, the normal appearance of a chest X-ray does not exclude the possibility of FBA.
2. Aggarwal A. and Kaur H. 2019. Broncoscopy: foreign body aspiration: a case report. International Journal of Current Research. 11, (12), 8735-8737. doi: https://doi.org/10.24941/ijcr.37377.12.2019.
3. Cramer N, Jabbour N, Tavarez MM, et al. Foreign Body Aspiration. [Updated 2020 Aug 23]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2021 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK531480/.
4. Even L, Lea E, Heno N, Nawaf H, Talmon Y, Yoav T, Samet E, Elvin S, Zonis Z, Ze'ev Z, Kugelman A, Amir K. Diagnostic evaluation of foreign body aspiration in children: a prospective study. J Pediatr Surg. 2005 Jul;40(7):1122-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2005.03.049.
5. Harless J, Ramaiah R, Bhananker SM. Pediatric airway management. Int J Crit Illn Inj Sci. 2014;4(1):65-70. doi:10.4103/2229-5151.128015.
6. Roy K, Amin SK, Setu M, Khondaker T, Chowdhury NS. An Unusual Case of Foreign Body Aspiration: A Case Report. AKMMC J. 2015;6(2):47-9. DOI: 10.3329/akmmcj.v6i2.31593.
7. Cleveland RH. Symmetry of bronchial angles in children. Radiology. 1979 Oct;133(1):89-93.
8. Daines CL, Wood RE, Boesch RP. Foreign body aspiration: an important etiology of respiratory symptoms in children. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008 May;121(5):1297-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2008.03.014. PMID: 18466789.
9. Samprathi M, Acharya S, Biswal B, Panda SS, Das RR. An Unusual Foreign Body Masquerading as Pneumonia. J Pediatr. 2016 Nov; 178:300-300.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2016.07.026. Epub 2016 Aug 12. PMID: 27526620.
10. Mallick MS. Tracheobronchial foreign body aspiration in children: A continuing diagnostic challenge. Afr J Paediatr Surg. 2014 Jul-Sep;11(3):225-8. doi: 10.4103/0189-6725.137330. PMID: 25047313.
11. Oliveira CF, Almeida JF, Troster EJ, Vaz FA. Complications of tracheobronchial foreign body aspiration in children: report of 5 cases and review of the literature. Rev Hosp Clin Fac Med Sao Paulo. 2002;57(3):108–11. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S0041-87812002000300005.
12. Foltran F, Ballali S, Rodriguez H, Sebastian van As AB, Passali D, Gulati A, Gregori D. Inhaled foreign bodies in children: a global perspective on their epidemiological, clinical, and preventive aspects. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2013 Apr;48(4):344-51.
13. Daines CL, Wood RE, Boesch RP: Foreign body aspiration: An important etiology of respiratory symptoms in children. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2008, 121 (5): 1297-1298. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2008.03.014.
Copyright (c) 2021 Journal of Rare Diseases and Orphan Drugs
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
Authors are permitted and encouraged to post links to their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.